Landlords Frequently Asked Questions

Is it necessary to have a ‘To Let’ board?

You don’t have to have a board, however, we find them to be very useful for several reasons. The main reason is that it can attract attention from passers-by that may be looking for a property in a specific area. Our specially designed boards are intended to be eye-catching, and we find that we get a good response from them alone. It is also useful for tenants when trying to find the property.

Am I tied into a contract?

Upon instruction, we ask you to sign our ‘Terms of Business’. However, we are so confident that we will let your property quickly, that we operate on a ‘no let, no fee’ basis, which means that if we do not find you a tenant, you do not have to pay us a letting fee. We also offer you the flexibility at a later date, should you wish to change service levels. If you feel confident in taking over the management of tenancy yourself, we ask for a minimum of two months’ notice to terminate the fully managed service.


When will I receive my rent each month?

The monthly rent due date will fall in line with the date of the tenancy commencement. For example, if the tenants move in on 5th day of the month, the rent due date will automatically become 5th day of each month thereafter. As funds won’t reach you on a weekend or bank holiday, the rent may take up to 4 working days to reach your account, although more commonly within 24 hours.

Get in touch

How much notice do I need to give to my tenant?

A minimum of two months’ notice is required from a landlord, to terminate a tenancy at the end of a fixed-term, or during a periodic tenancy. The tenants are required to provide a minimum of one months’ notice before the rent due date. As part of the fully managed service, Arden Estates will issue the relevant notice on your behalf, and ensure that this is done correctly and as per the UK Housing Act 1988.


Do I need specific Landlords insurance?

As a landlord, you need to protect your financial well-being against the risk of damage to your property. You must have landlords buildings insurance cover if the property is Freehold so that, in the event of a storm, flood or other incident or accident, you won’t be left out of pocket. We can arrange this for you.

Contact us

How long is the initial tenancy term?

We start all of our tenancies off on a 6-month assured shorthold tenancy agreement. We see this as the critical period in establishing how reliable the tenants are. If they prove themselves to be reliable when we can offer a much longer 12–24-month period. If another fixed-term tenancy is not issued at the end of the initial term, the tenancy automatically continues a periodic tenancy (monthly roll-on) until either the landlord or tenant gives notice to terminate the tenancy.


Do I need an electrical installation condition report?

As a landlord, you have a duty of care to your tenant and will be held legally responsible for the safety of the electrics. We therefore strongly recommend that you have a satisfactory installation condition report completed by a certified electrician to ensure that you are fully compliant.

Ask us a question…